Data Fellow, Climate Initiatives, Smart Cville
Smart Cville is a civic technology non-profit in Central Virginia that promotes the use of technology and data. We help communities find innovative solutions by facilitating the exchange of ideas between civic institutions and citizens.
Since our founding in 2014, we’ve had increasing success working with civic innovators, community organizations, and local governments. In 2020, we have multiple opportunities to work with the City of Charlottesville, UVA, and residents on climate-related data projects. We need a data fellow to support this work.
Your responsibilities and duties…
- Complete requirement-based data-related work for our municipal or community partners
- Use data visualizations to track greenhouse gas emissions inventory and put that data into context
- Support existing data collaboratives
- Represent Smart Cville at meetings with different constituencies
We need you to be…
- Excited by our mission and our region’s climate goals
- Work mostly independently but, at times, as a part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Technical skills you will need for this position…
- Data structures, preparation, and wrangling
- Data visualization and storytelling
You need to know…
- This is a part-time, hourly job.
- Most of this job will take place on your schedule, asynchronously.
- We’re seeking availability of 5-10 hours per week.
- Contract period is Jan 1, 2020-Jun 30, 2020.
- Wage is $18.00/hour.
- Position reports to the Founder of Smart Cville.
Smart Cville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to offering employees an environment free of discrimination and harassment. Smart Cville employment decisions are made on organization needs, requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in Virginia.